What is secondary water?

Secondary water is an untreated water supply for use on landscape only.  It is non-potable (non-drinkable) and water from this source should NEVER be consumed.  Be advised that this water source should not be used for outdoor recreation such as pools or playing in sprinklers.  Please explain to children the differences between water sources around the home.  A good measure is to paint secondary water taps and spigots a different color to distinguish them from drinking water sources.  Washing with soap and water is advised after coming in contact with secondary water.

What is Roy Water Conservancy District?

Roy Water Conservancy District provides secondary irrigation water only. The delivery system is largely pressurized by gravity, although pumping is required to provide pressure to the east end of the system. Roy Water Conservancy District provides no pressure regulation on the system, so customers must provide their own.

Roy Water Conservancy Subdistrict originated on February 16, 1965.  Construction on the Subdistrict infrastructure began in 1974 and was finished in 1977.  The Subdistrict was built as a small reclamation project by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation through the Small Reclamation Loan Act.  Initial federal funding for the Subdistrict infrastructure was $8,400,000 and now has a present value in excess of $40,000,000.

Roy Water Conservancy Subdistrict secondary water system was built primarily for agricultural needs in the Roy City area, as pressurized irrigation was a secondary need.  Today, the primary purpose of the secondary water system is to provide pressurized irrigation for domestic lawn and garden use, as well as to conserve, develop, and stabilize supplies of water for domestic, irrigation, power, manufacturing, and other beneficial uses.

On April 30, 2007, Roy Water Conservancy Subdistrict became Roy Water Conservancy District due to a change in the Utah Code.   The District’s service area is completely within Weber County and is located within the Weber Basin Water Conservancy District boundaries.  The service area is primarily Roy City but has grown to include small portions of West Haven, Hooper, and Riverdale.

The District maintains over 10,500 secondary water connections for approximately 45,000 residents.  The District maintains approximately 135 miles of pressurized pipe.  The District services 5,578 acres of domestic lawn and garden watering along with a small portion of agriculture.

Is Roy Water Conservancy District part of Roy City, Weber Basin Water Conservancy District, or Pineview Water?

Roy Water Conservancy District is a separate public entity, which operates independently of Roy City, even though we work in conjunction with them.  We are not a part of Weber Basin Water Conservancy District, although we have an Operation & Maintenance agreement with them to operate and maintain their West Haven secondary water system.  We are not a part of Pineview Water Systems.

Where does my secondary water come from?

We get our water from the Davis & Weber Counties Canal Company, which gets its water from Echo and East Canyon reservoirs.

Where can I get a Watering Permit Application?

You can download a copy here, or call our office to have one sent to you.

How am I billed for my secondary water?

You are billed annually as a direct charge on your Weber County property taxes.  You can check your assessments on the Weber County website.

Am I connected to secondary water?

You can search for your address on this map.  The pop-up will let you know if you are in our boundary and if you are connected!